I am a software developer, new data scientist, technical author, and frequent public speaker living in Chicago.
I am the author of Functional Programming for Java Developers, the co-author (with Alex Payne) of Programming Scala, and the co-author (with Edward Capriolo and Jason Rutherglen) of Programming Hive, all published by O'Reilly Media.
I am a frequent speaker at conferences and user groups. Most of my presentations can be found at my Polyglot Programming site. I also help organize several conferences and I started the Chicago-Area Scala Enthusiasts user group.
My expertise includes the following:
- Big Data and Data Science: I bring the unique combination of software development expertise, the Mathematics from a Ph.D. in Physics, and state of the art techniques in data management, mining, analytics, and machine learning, using the Hadoop ecosystem and other tools.
- Software Craftsmanship: I understand the practical, real-world issues faced by teams trying to deliver applications that meet business requirements and other objectives. In the past, I've done consulting in Agile development and management methods, especially Extreme Programming (XP), Scrum, and Lean for small teams up to large organizations.
My resumé has more details about my experience.
- To design is human; to refactor divine.
- All problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection. (Butler Lampson)
- Premature optimization is the root of all evil. (C.A.R. Hoare)
On the End:
I want my tombstone to say:
Unknown Application Error in Dean Wampler.exe.